Wednesday, May 30, 2012

More letting-go

Today I didn't fill a trash bag or recycling bin with a significant number of things in my decluttering process (primarily since we had several errands to run in town and were thus gone a large part of the day, so I wasn't here to go through much). But it was still a big day for letting things go.

I joined the TY Beanie Baby craze in junior high and ran with it for several years. I was one of the many suckers who thought these things were worth their weight in gold and bought up the rare ones, complete with plastic cases and tag protectors. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and we all know how nonvaluable these things are now. Lesson learned: if it's a fad, it's not a collector's item.

I mentioned before that I'm kind of a frugal freak. I don't drop large amounts of money without some serious thought. So when I bought some of these toys, though I was a teenager at the time, they were purchases I never thought I'd part with. Cut to now. Thank God I don't remember exact prices paid for these things, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get rid of any of them. But I am. I'm giving away a bag, and another bag is moving to my classroom (mostly holiday and international bears--I figure they could come in handy when I teach world music and celebrations). I'm keeping the cats and dogs (always my favorites) and a few others that I think my son might enjoy playing with. And all the big plush toy versions, because they're huggable and kid friendly and will make good additions to Taven's toy collection.

In addition to this minor victory in letting go, I sent my parrot Mango off to his new (hopefully for good) home today. There's a long story behind this, but in the interest of brevity I'll just say I've had the bird less than a year but still got attached to him, much to my own dismay (so not a bird person, thank you very much). He got possessive of me, which isn't safe with a baby on the way, so we found him a home with a friend and former boss who is a real bird lover and who I hope and pray is able to bond with him. I hate goodbyes, even to a bird, so it was an emotionally draining day.

So now I'm thinking I will go through one more bin, try to throw away some inconsequential items, then detox from this day with something relaxing or fun. I bought Manic Panic in Shocking Blue to put in some semi-perm streaks for camp, so maybe that will be on the agenda. I may even make some ice cream. I have fresh strawberries and peaches and a new ice cream maker. Sounds like a plan to me. Jumping back on the purging wagon tomorrow.

1 comment: