Friday, April 9, 2010

Surveys: Idol Democracy (HCD)

Today I have an example of an instance when surveys get interesting.






HCD Research (which is included in my survey list entry) is conducting a study they've cleverly titled "Idol Democracy." If you've followed the pop culture craze of American Idol, there have been many eliminations that shocked the nation--Tamyra Gray in season 1, Clay Aiken in season 2 (well, not an elimination, but rather a non-win), Jennifer Hudson in season 3, and possibly the biggest shocker of all, Chris Daughtry in season 5. It always interested me that America was so shocked by all of these eliminations... when America is supposed to be calling the shots.


The Idol Democracy study, which began with this season's top 24, is focused on determining accurate Idol results through a "one person, one vote" system. Essentially, it's showing viewers what the results would be if millions of people weren't casting multiple votes for their favorites. Almost consistently, the eliminations don't match the Idol Democracy results. Maybe it's just me, but I find it all really interesting!


This, for me, is another perk of doing surveys and research (besides the awesomeness of the money and free stuff you can earn). This study is proving a point (which to some people might be an insignificant or irrelevant point, but again, it's one I find quite intriguing). Other studies help influence products and services that we use on a regular basis. I can name several new products I've seen in stores or on commercials that I remember giving my input on months before, and it always makes me feel great knowing I directly helped to influence that product.


Interested in the results of the Idol Democracy study? Check them out here. If you want to be a part of the study, join the HCD panel and automatically receive a survey invitation after every Idol performance show.

No comments:

Post a Comment